INDEX | RULES & INFORMATION | SUPPORT FORUM | DOCUMENTATION | SEARCH | MEMBERS | TWITTER | TERMS

Add Reply
New Poll

Honouring Members
Liz
 Posted: Jul 15 2014, 12:17 PM

1532 POSTS
37 YEARS OLD
Minnesota
07/29/2013
Female

I have one site that I'm on that a lot of us are starting to get really frustrated with. Every once in awhile they decide that all the mods/admins should get awarded and everyone is expected to do fun things for the mods and admins. Which is fine yes, but why not ever for the members?

This recent thing that just happened, is in the VM's (visitor messages on the profile), everyone is supposed to post certain things, like one was disney pictures and on another was memories of past RPs.

Great right?

Well they don't do things like this for other members. Sure they have a potter week, where things around the site appear for members to do. And every once in awhile decide to do a member of the month interview. But beyond that? They don't do things specifically for members like they do with the admin/mod thing.

What do you do to honour your members? And make them thrilled to be on your site?

♥ ♥ Hogwarts RPG ♥ ♥ The Refuge ♥ ♥
A friend is one who knows you, And loves you just the same.
user posted image user posted image user posted image

♥ ♥ Guides ♥ ♥ Discussions ♥ ♥ Challenges ♥ ♥ Nanowrimo ♥ ♥
♥ ♥ Review Shop ♥ ♥ Tracker ♥ ♥ Refuge Staff Needed ♥ ♥
PMEmailWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
Crystal
 Posted: Jul 18 2014, 06:38 PM

5665 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
Missouri, USA
07/13/2012
Female

I can see that being frustrating for some people to feel as though they are doing for someone or a few people and not having anything done in return. While it is always great to do things for the Admins of any forum I feel no one should ever be forced to do so. That just breeds discontent among members and such, and it ends up making the forum have a bad reputation for this kind of thing.

user posted image
DeviantArt | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: C. Jones
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMEmailWebsite
^
Liz
 Posted: Jul 25 2014, 12:55 PM

1532 POSTS
37 YEARS OLD
Minnesota
07/29/2013
Female

It really does! The way people feel on the site already regarding people becoming mod/admin because they're in the clique already has a lot of people pissed off. Not to mention they keep mods/admins aren't doing anything at all, just because they've been there a long time. Even ones who haven't even been on site for months, are still mods/admins.

But yet they want to continue to honour these people, makes the rest of us who do put the energy into keeping it an awesome site, feel like crap because we don't get that acknowledgement, it's just 'part' of our position.

It's really sad :/ It just makes me work doubly hard not to let it happen on my own site.

♥ ♥ Hogwarts RPG ♥ ♥ The Refuge ♥ ♥
A friend is one who knows you, And loves you just the same.

♥ ♥ Guides ♥ ♥ Discussions ♥ ♥ Challenges ♥ ♥ Nanowrimo ♥ ♥
♥ ♥ Review Shop ♥ ♥ Tracker ♥ ♥ Refuge Staff Needed ♥ ♥
PMEmailWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
Kora
 Posted: Apr 14 2017, 03:20 AM

22 POSTS
31 YEARS OLD
N/A
03/27/2017
Female

That is when I keep people on Staff that do what they're brought on to do and if they don't, then they're out and I will typically post an announcement where people volunteer to take their place, and list their credentials and what not, and people can vote blindly on the best one for the position by just listing them as 'Most Qualified' 'Moderately Qualified' etc and no one knows who I am referring to.

A way to get the members interested is to maybe do something like this to show there's no clique at all and to encourage people to post and plot with everyone and not just stick around a couple of people only and promote an anti-clique situation, letting people know that Staff are just members with things to do to help the forum, not only promoted because they are friends.
PM
^
Black Panther
 Posted: May 10 2017, 06:21 PM

52 POSTS
45 YEARS OLD
N/A
08/26/2013
Female

Recently, I offered to help someone with their board and was more than willing to. Then when I asked about joining with a character in the RPG I realized I was being used for my expertise. It taught me a lesson on trusting people. Since then I left that board. Yes, I have had some medical issues lately, but it gives no one the right to use people just to get them to do work for you. I learned on my own to do what coding and other board stuff I know how to do.

Anyway, my point is be careful who you let as staff on your board and what board you offer to help on. You never know if its an honest request.
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -