INDEX | RULES & INFORMATION | SUPPORT FORUM | DOCUMENTATION | SEARCH | MEMBERS | TWITTER | TERMS

Add Reply
New Poll

Its back.......
MR. CHRIS EVANS
 Posted: Aug 26 2013, 09:36 PM

278 POSTS
25 YEARS OLD
Arizona
08/15/2013
Male

SOPA is being once again revised by the US Government and is trying to be submitted once again for the United states of America. Now some other countries do have it. Like for instance, China is not allowed to use Facebook and Russia has the same kind of laws so why put a ban on the internet. Personally it would discontinue us to not be able to use Facebook no more and also would it mess around with our right to use Playbys and celebrities for our forums. I dont like this idea one bit and I am sick of the Government messing around with what we created.

What is your opinions on this? Do you support it? If so, state the reasons why you would support this kind of bill. Do you not support it? If so. Please again state the reasons why you hate this bill

user posted image
ATF Gallery
Signature made yours truly
PMWebsiteGTalkAIMMSN
^
Crystal
 Posted: Aug 27 2013, 01:48 AM

5665 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
Missouri, USA
07/13/2012
Female

Obviously against it. It is just another form of censorship. The Government has this never ending desire to control aboit everything look at Obamacare. That isn't to help people it is to force them into carrying insurance tons of people won't use and can barely afford. And in the end how does it benefit them? They pay every monrh in case they have something happen then when it does I guarantee they'll end up paying almost all of what they would have it.

This is just ridiculous to try to bring around again when it got put down once for a reason and will again in the future.

user posted image
DeviantArt | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: C. Jones
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMEmailWebsite
^
Leif
 Posted: Aug 27 2013, 06:17 AM

24 POSTS
N/A YEARS OLD
N/A
08/01/2013
N/A

I'm against it in whole. Creativity is such a huge thing, the internet depends on it. Signatures for RP forums, music on YouTube videos. This is how some major stars became big. However, I could understand some points of SOPA, but in the end, it's all horrible. In the end, internet is culture now. Can culture, mainstream culture be managed? I don't think it can, culture should be allowed to involve, because it is a part of our own identity.

also known as ashkir
PMEmail
^
John
 Posted: Aug 27 2013, 06:57 AM

839 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
New Jersey, USA
07/13/2012
Male

It is bad enough that they want to revive anything from SOPA, but they're only looking at one part. The relevant part of the proposal is this:

"While the willfully infringing reproduction and distribution of copyrighted works can be punished as a felony, willful violations of the public performance right are punishable only as misdemeanors. This discrepancy is an increasingly significant impediment to the effective deterrence and criminal prosecution of unauthorized streaming. Since the most recent updates to the criminal copyright provisions, streaming (both audio and video) has become a significant if not dominant means for consumers to enjoy content online. The Administration and the Copyright Office have both called on Congress to amend the Copyright Act to ensure that illegal streaming to the public can be punished as a felony in the same manner as other types of criminal infringement."

The argument is that since no one is "paying attention" to copyright law, it's time to up the ante` and make it a felony so people will listen. The notion that unauthorized online streaming of copyrighted work should be made a felony is ridiculous. I don't pay taxes to have "online streamers" made felons and put in prison.

The government should not be so deeply involved with copyright infringement enforcement. Let the individual or company take the person to court. If it's actually worth it, then they'll prevail.

email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
PMWebsite
^
Leif
 Posted: Aug 27 2013, 07:02 AM

24 POSTS
N/A YEARS OLD
N/A
08/01/2013
N/A

Disney screwed over us all because of Copyright law... They fought so hard to make it so extensive. This makes it difficult. For example, books. The WAshington Post did something on this a while ago. There are more books from the 1880s for sell then there are 1980s. Because their popularity has slipped, it means things are nearly impossible to get their paws on for people to enjoy... Because the copyright is author + 90 years.

Also, copyright is abused so much. I have a dream is copyrighted. You can't use this legally, you have to pay King's rich kids money. :/ And this is a speech that defines American culture, one of the most memorable speeches. It can't be printed in Textbooks as a whole. My American History textbook mentions the speech, but there's no copy of it like other great American speeches.

There is a reason for Copyright... But, at times it goes way too far. It has been broken by the government. What happened to encouraging innovation? This can even be said about the damn patent system.

also known as ashkir
PMEmail
^
Afterlife Admin
 Posted: Oct 15 2016, 07:24 AM

39 POSTS
31 YEARS OLD
USA
06/25/2016
Male

I steam music on YouTube. So does that mean I should be in PRISON and treated the same as someone who shot someone in the head in cold blood? No.

SOPA is just another way of 'Big Brother' to control what you do and how you do it. It is totally a bs bill, and the sad thing is that people actually WANT it to go through by the very people who we elected that promised to uphold the rights of the people that voted for them...
PM
^
CamilleNicole
 Posted: Apr 16 2017, 11:49 PM

68 POSTS
24 YEARS OLD
N/A
01/24/2014
Female

Old thread but it shouldn't be the government's responsibility to actually find those who violate copyright. They're responsible for actually punishing those who violate the law - but it should be the job of the copyright holders to actually bring it up and take the violater to court.

KnB roleplay coming soon.
Idol RP coming soon.
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Internet Debates | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -